I think I mentioned this in a pervious, but I initially put 10W40 engine oil into the gearbox accidentally. Have realised my error I initially just asked around to see what other people thought about just leaving it. Alan made a great point, that when I change it shortly it’ll have cleaned out any debris that might have gotten into the gearbox while it’s been stool for the past how ever long in storage. So I pulled out the sump plug and found this. So it either wasn’t 100% clean inside or the wrong oil caused a lot of wear or it’s wearing really fast and will fail at any moment. So I made a but of a mess on the floor, but the job is done, 80W90 now in the gearbox. Still not exactly the right oil, but I’ll live with it.
I have put all of the foot Wells back in properly, including the fire extinguisher (which still feels like I am gambling on the land rover bursting into flames).
First and second gear, in particular first gear was not going in nicely, it was very tight and clicky into the gate. I had a quick read of Ashcroft’s website: “The LT77 in my Defender does not engage 1st / 2nd nicely, the gate is tight and hard to find. Why ? When you move the gearstick to the left it stops when it hits the spring loaded reverse plunger, it should then move up to 1st and down to 2nd, sometimes the position of the plunger needs adjusting to allow either the stick to go further to the left or sometimes not as far over so it lines up better with the 1/2 gear positions. The is done by adding or removing shims behind the reverse plunger body which is held on with 2 M8 bolts to the right of the shifter turret in the top housing.” https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/lt77-faq-s.html Very […]
I saw this slider thing on the BBC news website and after entrogating the webpage found that it’s provided by https://app.flourish.studio/, so i went and signed in for a free account and boom: This next one doesn’t line up as well, I got lucky with the first two images.
I said I was going to add an inner wheel arch to protect the air receiver from getting covered in mud and muck. I think it will extend it’s life and perhaps avoid future failures. It’s not 100% sealed, but at least the air receiver is not in the direct firing line of any stones and what have you that fly off the tyre. I often hear stones come off the tyre and hit the under side of the rear tub/wheel arch, they should like someone fired a gun in the back. This job turned out to be easier than expect. I found a bit of second hand aluminium that already had a return in on side, I didn’t even need to cut it, just added a return on the opposite side and pop riveted it in. You might be wondering what the white is, well, that’s “Sticks like Sh*t” […]
I removed the fire extinguisher air receiver holding straps this evening. Then filled the holes with plastic padding. Yup, pro job. I might even go so far as to run some sand paper over it tomorrow.
I realised that to get the bolts caught on the free floating rivnuts and back plate that I was unable to hold in place due to the lacking availability of space for my hands, that I needed to tape the free floating part in place. Job done inside of 20 mins. Now I need to make an inner wheel arch to protect the air receiver and bits
I have started the job of replacing the air receiver with a smaller nicer one. This new one will go in the wheel arch of the rear wheel, rather than in the rear load space. That is the location where it’ll be. Old fire extinguisher and new air receiver below. I’ve since swsapped over the pressure switch and air line connector to the new receiver.
For Christmas I got a new good as the old one was falling apart. Then went for a trip to the tip, as you do.
Land Rover is running nicely now, been for two short spins in it now. This time though I removed the top door jamb from the door frame to allow the land rover to pass out under it without the middle of the three soft top supports hitting it. I also let some pressure out of the tyres, they’ll all on 17 psi now. Thought I don’t think that made any decernable difference. The result; less of an interfearance. The remaining question is, do I scable the floor down a bit, or do I do something with the timber over the door. I probably need about an inch.