I began to install the window runner stuff that Hannah got me for Christmas last night. I managed to get the old stuff out. Had to drill some screws out and others required the use of a hammer and chisel. I made up the top and bottom runners for the drivers side. Then decided that I needed black adhesive for sticking in the bottom runner. So stopped at that point. The old bits ripped out. Try to ignore the Ugg boot on the wing being weter proofed.
I have put in some more of the main shelving supports and OSB.
Took a few evenings as I used Araldite to stick the nasty bits of hardboard to the aluminium. So I would give in at that point and leave it to go off over night. Got the dash parts all fitted back to the Land Rover, the driver side one works really nicely, smooth and not too stiff. The passenger side one is very stiff, I’m not sure if this is the pressure being applied when it’s in place and perhaps rubbing on the 3D printed plastic part inside (where I can’t see) or perhaps some other reason. It wasn’t too bad on the bench, I’m going to leave it see how I get on with it.. You can barely see them in this picture; And the driver side close up: This is the passenger side close up:
I have a need to be able to close off the air that is coming into the cabin via the openings that I created so that it is forced all of the way through the ducts to the windscreen for demisting. The method achieving for this has been puzzling me for a long time. I have some options for closing off the opening: Hinged Door or flap Hinged butterfly arrangement Rotating disc with an opening in it with the pivot away form the edge of the opening Sliding cover plate with slide rails down each side Then I had some more thoughts that apply to all of these options: Does this shutter go on the inside of outside surface Does the arrangement fit inside or outside of the opening How is the shutter operated (manual or mechanically) What materials to use I thought I had decided on a slider that […]
This is the CAD model that I printed out for the wing: https://bhhh.co.uk/cabin-air/ and finished in this post https://bhhh.co.uk/grill-thing/
I found a way to embed 3d models into this web page: I do not believe that the above will work in all browsers or devices, desktops with mainstream browsers will be your best bet if you’re having issues.
Yesterday I left the Land rover out on the drive over night as I didn’t find the time and energy to put it away. It left it’s usual mark on the drive, but this time because it was raining over night it was that much more spectacular. Not only is this sad for the environment but also for my pocket, as that’s oil that is no longer doing it’s job that I purchased it to do. I often think that the most environmentally friendly options are the cheapest, and in this instance it is to not keep the land rover.. but I wont be getting rid of it, though I might be trying to track this leak down and fix it. Also, I have been trying to seal the house up better to insulate it and keep dry the building, so I ran a bead of silicone sealer into this […]
Got the jack clamping arrangement sorted today. Basically just drilled a hole in the spare wheel carrier bit and put a riv-nut into it for an M10 bolt and bolted on the clamping part I made last week, job done, it really seems to hold it tight. Of cause I’ll have to put that to the test at some point. The draw back to this arrangement is now I need to carry a 14 mm spanner to release the bolt at the bottom each time. I have not fixed the wooden bits in place either, I am hoping that they’ll remain where they are just by friction or magic. A bit of car door seal on the clamp part should make it grip well and also make it salient by comparison with the noise that the land rover generates.
The land rover wouldn’t start on Saturday. I initially blamed the battery as it was no turning over very fast. But having purchased a battery charger and made certain that the battery was fully charged and produced an open circuit voltage of 15 volts. Still I had no luck with it starting, if anything it was worse. I removed, tested with a battery on the bench, seemed to go, if a little weak, refitted. Nothing. Did the same again. Same result. Found a new one on Ebay, bought it on Monday, got it today (Tuesday), fitted it. Cranks over really well now. This is it fitted looking shiny but probably not for long.. The most annoying aspect of this episode is that I only changed the starter motor back in February 2019, I did a blog post about it then: https://bhhh.co.uk/volvo-alternator/. I seriously hope this one lasts longer. I might […]
I’ve been trying to think of a method for fixing my farm jack into the Land Rover that such that it doesn’t crash and clatter around the back. I came up with this solution and proceeded to plough on with it. I’m not yet sure if I’ll permanently fix the tree carcas bits in or not. Perhaps it would be great to be easily removed. I’m not sure. This bit will mount in the middle from the spare wheel mount and clamp the jack in place. Needs some more work yet.