Back when I built the new dash I resisted cutting this opening as it seemed nearly impossible to mark the position as I couldn’t get behind the dash without removing it, and I needed it in place to mark it. I tackled it and got it pretty spot on today. Hol llocation measured by guess work and some ruler work too. Can you spot the small hole in the dash? Next up is the passenger side, which I think is not going to be so simple, as there is even less tolerance for error.
We visited Powerstock Common today for the first time. This is the location:
For almost 3 years the clock has not worked in the Volvo. This was the blog post I did about replacing the alternator: https://bhhh.co.uk/volvo-alternator/. That was a short post. Well, I bought another dash for £10 from a guy called Ash who breaks Volvo 340 cars for a pass time/living. He’s over on the outskirts of Lymington, here, he’s not actually at the plant yard, just really close by. The two dashes: Spot the three differences below in the slider image. The differences are; the time (obviously), the miles on the odometer and the gear shift indicator instrument in the top left corner. So I thought I’d swap over the clock into my dash, but they’re slightly different and are obviously electrically connected to the funny plastic circuit board thing on the back of the dash, and I didn’t much fancy tinkering with that. So I chose to swap the […]
I thought after doing the Chetnole ford that perhaps I should try to stop water that is in the wheel arch area from entering the engine bay. Specifically the openings that are very close to the air intake. So I set about making some panels to cover these areas. I am also thinking that may be I should be fitting a raised air intake..
Having gotten some water inside of my headlight the other day (Blog post https://bhhh.co.uk/chetnole-and-the-wriggle-river/) I thought it best to get it out again. Removed the lamp and reflector assembly. Once emptied and cleaned the head light reflector bit got re-fitted. It’s better, it’s not perfect.
I finished installing the new windscreen washer to the Land Rover. Nice clean bottle with lid, new pump and also a new length of hose that is not filled with mud.
I finally got some more done to the loft shelving. Managed to finish the long shelf that runs the length of the house, then also managed to finish a big shelf that spans the middle of three of the trusses at the end of the house. This is 1200 mm deep by about 2700 mm wide, but of cause the trusses come through one end of it, so the useful area is less than that. Next I need to continue with another shelf that will run most of the length of the house on the other side.
I went to my local auto breakers yard and picked up a windscreen washer pump, some door seal and a horn. All from a small Audi that had been in a front end collision it looked like. I paid a fiver for those bits. First I fitted the door seal as it was easiest. Then I did the horn as that was also pretty simply to pull out the old one and solder the new connector to the wires and refit. You’d barely know that it’s new to the vehicle. Then I started on the windscreen washer pump, which is not the same or even similar to the old one, it’s a different fitment to the bottle, different wiring. First job was to get the mud off and out of the washer bottle, which might well explain why the old pump packed it in. This bottle was off a mark […]
Went and drove a very short unclassified road in Chetnole on Sunday, the road way follows a small river for 60 meters or so. This was running about 0.8 m deep, which was more than i comfortable with, but decided to do it anyway. This is the only footage I have of us entering the water. I should have stopped before hand and gotten some decent pictures and such. Also for safety I should have checked the depth and so and so on. The river where we exited. Made it, without drowning us or the engine. That was properly exciting in my books.