High Security

I’ve had this pad lock locked to the damper mount on the steering arm for many years, I call it my steering lock. It’s not been stolen so far, so I ‘d say it works.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Two tie down loops

I added the second loop:

And lacquered them both to try to retain the shiny copper look.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Tuning up

I am not convinced that I made it much better, but I certainly changed the way the engine runs and picks up. I would be hard pressed to say it’s better, just different. I quite like it, I think. I think I’ll run with this for the time being. I drove out towards Evershot stopping in laybys to tweak the timing, then go again, stop again, more tweaking, go again. First it got worse, so I went back the other way, and it seemed to get better. Then I tinkered with the fuel mixture, made it too rich, so backed off again back to almost where I started at. Anyways, I went down a white road..

This will be fun in the winter when the water is running right over the bridge.

Hose pipe bracket

Mounted it on the wall. Also removed the old rawl plugs from the taps as they were pulling out and replaced them with new ones and new screws such that the tag is no longer floating against the wall.

Tie down loops

So far it’s only one that is made and fitted, but I have bent up a second hoop and removed the two ex-roll cage holding bolts that will secure the loop.

Yes, it is made from the remaining copper bar that I used for garden hose bracket. No, it isn’t really the best material for this purpose – but it was free and easy enough to bend with tools without applying heat.

There are four potential locations for hold down loops like this, one in each corner of the rear tub, where the roll cage used to mount, so I’ll put these two on diametrically opposed corners. Then at some later date perhaps I’ll happen across some other bar stock of the right size and made two more. A bit of 3 x 25 mm stainless would be perfect.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Tiny wire rope

I was going to lose the hitch pin and the retaining pin through the hitch pin, so I have used what I hope is stainless steel picture hanging wire rope stuff to retain those two components.

I don’t own any crimping tools, or wire rope crimps, so I cut some aluminium and just folded it over and crushed it flat. Seemed to do the trick.

Hose bracket

I was getting fed up with the garden hose hanging on the tap, so I’ve made what would have been a very expensive bracket, had I paid for the solid copper bar.

Oil changed in front axle

Having tried to bleed the brakes and at least make them a little better, I thought I’d change the oil in the font axle. This was what came out:

Water is getting into the axle somewhere. Oh well.