Before and after

I saw this slider thing on the BBC news website and after entrogating the webpage found that it’s provided by https://app.flourish.studio/, so i went and signed in for a free account and boom:

This next one doesn’t line up as well, I got lucky with the first two images.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Inner arch

I said I was going to add an inner wheel arch to protect the air receiver from getting covered in mud and muck. I think it will extend it’s life and perhaps avoid future failures. It’s not 100% sealed, but at least the air receiver is not in the direct firing line of any stones and what have you that fly off the tyre. I often hear stones come off the tyre and hit the under side of the rear tub/wheel arch, they should like someone fired a gun in the back. This job turned out to be easier than expect. I found a bit of second hand aluminium that already had a return in on side, I didn’t even need to cut it, just added a return on the opposite side and pop riveted it in.

You might be wondering what the white is, well, that’s “Sticks like Sh*t” adhesive that I happened to have in the gun and to hand. Your next question is probably “why”, I gave the panel a thump and it made a drumming noise that I didn’t think I could cope with, so I added that along the top edge to try to dampen it’s movement and hopefully also dampen any sound caused by vibrations etc.

Another view if the same thing from inside of the arch.

UPDATE on the last post: No, I couldn’t be bothered with running sand paper over the plastic padding. Maybe one day… or not.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Filled holes

I removed the fire extinguisher air receiver holding straps this evening. Then filled the holes with plastic padding.

Yup, pro job. I might even go so far as to run some sand paper over it tomorrow.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Botanical Gardens

We visited the botanical gardens today in Abbotsbury. Really nice gardens with some nice furns and loads of other cool plants that you don’t often see the UK.

Published
Categorised as Dorset

Air receiver fitted

I realised that to get the bolts caught on the free floating rivnuts and back plate that I was unable to hold in place due to the lacking availability of space for my hands, that I needed to tape the free floating part in place. Job done inside of 20 mins.

Now I need to make an inner wheel arch to protect the air receiver and bits

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Air Tank

I have started the job of replacing the air receiver with a smaller nicer one. This new one will go in the wheel arch of the rear wheel, rather than in the rear load space.

That is the location where it’ll be.

Old fire extinguisher and new air receiver below. I’ve since swsapped over the pressure switch and air line connector to the new receiver.

Soft top on

For Christmas I got a new good as the old one was falling apart.

Then went for a trip to the tip, as you do.

Door height

Land Rover is running nicely now, been for two short spins in it now. This time though I removed the top door jamb from the door frame to allow the land rover to pass out under it without the middle of the three soft top supports hitting it. I also let some pressure out of the tyres, they’ll all on 17 psi now. Thought I don’t think that made any decernable difference. The result; less of an interfearance.

Middle hood stick
Touching with only a little force
Same thing again
Rear hoop where the wheels have now dropped off the ramp and now there is a solid 2 clear inches.

The remaining question is, do I scable the floor down a bit, or do I do something with the timber over the door. I probably need about an inch.

Back together

Well, got it back together. Though I’m not 100% certain that the high low range selector is quite right. Now this could be caused by the stiff output in the gearbox. It’ll require some running and testing to be sure that there is an issue. Couple of pictures of the floor going in and in.

Published
Categorised as Land Rover

Front prop

Put the front prop on last night, the hardest part of this job was getting the grease gun off the grease nipples, until i watched a video about the technique for doing this. All these years of struggling. Google it for yourself..

That’s least spectcular photo of a prop shaft ever.