Heater Blower housing

Used the 4 inch with wire wheel to start cleaning up the rusty housing, it’s not so bad, there is good metal in places. I think I am going to replace a good chunk of the area that rusted away. Probably replace a full quarter segment of the housing.

Heater Blower housing
Working at dusk

Categorised as Land Rover

Arduino build complete

That’s the Land Rover running and fully functional again. Now onto the next jobs, the list starts with:

  • Heater Blower housing repair
  • Remainder of Dash
  • Windscreen wiper limit switch or park position
  • New seat back
  • New seat base
  • Disk brake conversion
  • Galvanised chassis
  • endless list starts here..
Fuses mounted, it’s a tight fit and a touch too close to the replays really, but that’s life and I’m not about to take the time to fix that issue.
Categorised as Land Rover

Fuse block and dash

I have now made up the dash front/lower part and also the right hand end that houses the fuses.

Dash Lower part
Fuse carrying end part.

It just needs bolting in and livening up. Then the Land Rover is fully functional once more.

Categorised as Land Rover

Arduino in

Today I fitted the Arduino on the new aluminium back plate to the land rover. It’s wired up enough to run the Arduino and proved the power supply, but no IO are wired in yet.

Next job is to mount the fuses on a piece of aluminium that I can now start to design.

Categorised as Land Rover

Arduino almost ready

I think that short of the fuse block it’s re-mounted and ready to go back in. The fuse block will go on another piece of the dash.

The common side is now common. Permanently.

The Powerspark points:

I like how much it cost.
Categorised as Land Rover

Powerspark update

Powerspark received and tested my broken electronic ignition module, they suggested that it might have suffered from premature failure. They’ve put a new one in the post to me at no cost. Wonderful, they’ve been brilliant really. I would been a little miffed if they’d made me buy a new part given that it failed at less than a year old, but then again they can’t be 100% that it’s not something to do with my non standard setup. Who knows. Time will likely tell and I shall carry a spare set of points and condenser just in case!

Brand new set of points and condenser.

I have started the move of the Arduino to behind the dash. I ripped everything out of the old mounting box that I had it in and have mounted it onto an aluminium panel that fits around the steering column and will carry the new dash surround.

Mounted onto the aluminium back plate.

I have yet to mount the fuses. They will likely be to the right of the Arduino set up on the panel that is not made yet, so that they’re accessible.


I emailed Powerspark about their component that failed, I was mildly upset, as I had deliberably fitted this part to avoid this very issue. The owner of the business replied on New Years eve! I was impressed by that, they’ve since helped me do a little failt finding and asked me to return the part for testing.

Categorised as SE England

Powerspark failed at Broxhead

I went to the TV4x4 event at Broxhead on Sunday 30th. It wa a great trip down open top in the cold. The event was very well attended with about 50, plus or munis 25 cars driving around. I was able to resuce one fella who got grounded out, great fun until my truck packed up. Some nice gent in a disco gave me a hand and helped diagnose the issue, no spark..

Some other nice fella in a fake Camel Trophy disco towed me to the start where Rob and I had another look and concluded that the AA were the best bet.

Abandoned at the turning waiting for the AA.
Being loaded up
Being unloaded at home.

The AA man conculuded that there was no switching happening and since it’s an electronic gizmo, nothing he could do to get me running, so they sent for a falt bed to take me home in the warm and confort of a heated cab!

Categorised as SE England