Bleeding brakes

It wasn’t as bad a job as the title makes out! I purchased a brake bleeding “kit” from my local motor part factors:

the black rubber end that I’m holding in the above picture is a one way valve, so by simply sticking this on the bleed nipple it becomes a one person job. And it seemed to work very well. My brake peddle isn’t as positive as it could be, but then it wasn’t that positive before this exercise, so I’ve giving myself and the little hose the benefit of the doubt.

I am also fitting new dash LED illumination lights, as the previous LED’s were pretty dim even in very low light levels, so there was no hope of reading the dash when a car was coming towards me. I designed the black 3D printed part in the photo above, a friend kindly printed it for me in ABS. It fitted both the LED and the back of the dash perfectly, more by luck then judgement. It went in with the ease that I would expect genuine Land Rover branded parts to fit. Amazed, I was.

Changed wheel cylinder

I managed to do the following in about 50 minutes;

  • move Volvo from in front of the garage
  • move Land Rover out of Garage
  • jack the land rover up and put on axle stand
  • remove wheel
  • disassemble brake drum etc
  • remove cylinder
  • loose some brake fluid on floor
  • find grease and rags
  • fit new cylinder
  • brake drum etc back on
  • wheel back on
  • move Land rover back in garage without pressing brake peddle
  • move Volvo back in front of garage

Job done! Well not quite, don’t have any Dot 4 so can’t bleed the brakes yet.

New cylinder on
The sun shone for this photo.. then vanished

Pulling to the left

The Land Rover has been pulling to the left under braking recently, last Thursday it become bad enough that I thought I’d take a look, as it could no longer be written off as being dirt in the drum or something. Sure enough I have leaking wheel cylinder on the right front drum.

Dripping oil from the dust cover on the wheel cylinder
Wet with oil, no wonder the right wheel wasn’t braking much.

I also painted some of the more white parts and bare aluminium.

Super shiny, in parts..

Dash must now be at about 90% complete

I reckon the aluminium dash is almost done, it’s not perfect, but who cares. Not me. I’ve installed two USB power ports, they’ll put out up to 10 amps from the PSU, so that’s future proofed for a few years yet. Still need to install a few more switches to do other stuff and make the bit for the right of the dash similar to the bit on the left of the dash.

CB radio mounted where the centre console used to be. Those switches have moved to a new part of the dash right next to the dash itself.
Need to workout what I’m going to do to hid and protect those wires, two USB power ports stashed away out of sight.
Two spare holes for starter switch and something else.. I have yet to dream that up.

Next is to fit better LED illumination for the dash. Shouldn’t be too hard.

IOW Trip

We went to the Isle of Wight last weekend. Went up in my uncles micro light for a very short trip, some minor engine trouble brought us back more rapidly than we had planned. I’m looking forward to going up again.

The grass strip isn’t that flat or smooth, but it works!
We travelled across with the car on the Wight Link ferry, so got burned off pretty bad by the hover craft.
Hover craft passing one of the forts in the Solant.

We had stunning weather considering the forecast, it was a lovely trip.

Blown Fuse

I blew a fuse in the Land Rover, entirely my fault. A terminal broke off the back of the voltage regulator, so I replaced the feed to the instrument cluster by running a cable from my 12V stabilised power supply to the instruments instead. Unfortunately, this was all I did. I lift the existing supply cable behind the dash, still with broken terminal protruding from the insulated crimp. I imagine that this had touched something that was grounded/earthed and shorted out, blowing the fuse. At least I hope this is why the fuse blew.

Interesting how the wire has melted back where I guess it arced across the gap as the gap formed. Also interesting how it burned a line into the paper.

Got what I paid for

I purchased some drill bits from Ebay, very cheap ones, but it said that they were cobalt so I thought I’d give them a try for 2 and a bit quid.

After drilling about 6 rivets each they were in this state.
The rivets are only steel

In fairness the drills did have HSS stamped on them, but I suspect that stands for “Highly Soft Steel” in this instance, they’re almost certainly made from Chinesium. In future I’ll pay reasonable money to a reputable shop for decent drill bits. Lesson learned.

Air ducting behind the dash

I have designed and a friend is printing for me some components for the air duct work that supplies hot air to the windscreen and cabin of the Land Rover.

This is actually going to be 3 parts glued together to reduce the complexity of the print.
The half size test pint

And then inside will split up the air flow unevenly so that the driver side has far more air flow than the passenger side.

The small top left aperture will feed the passenger side windscreen and the small lower right aperture the passenger foot well.

Greening in Surrey

Went for a trip around the Devils Punch Bowl area last weekend.

The blue green route is roughly where Google though my phone went, the darker blue route is the fast route home.

We went across Frensham Common and then through a load of other lanes around the punch bowl and lastly up Wagoners Well.

Snow weekend

We had snow from Thursday to Saturday, it was great fun and caused no end of chaos on the roads.

Clikc and Collect at Sainsbury’s wasn’t functioning. I couldn;t see what the issue was.